We have tons of Halloween activities , decorations and tiny figures to play with but I wanted to make something new to the girls. As E. loves the rhyme/song 5 little pumpkins I decided to make something in connection with it.:
What you need:
- 9 popsicle sticks
- 5 felt pumpkins or jack-o-lanterns
- self-adhesive Velcro (or small wooden clothes pegs – this would have been too difficult for little L. to handle so I went for the Velcro to fix the pumpkins on the popsicle sticks)
How to make it:
- I put 5 popsicle sticks next to each other vertically
- I glued 2 popsicle sticks on them horizontally
- I repeated step 2 on the other side then let it dry for an hour
- I put the Velcro on the back of the pumpkins and on the top of the 5 popsicle stick (it’s better to put the rough part of the Velcro on the sticks and the soft ones on the pumpkins)
- I drew Jack-o-lantern faces on the pumpkins
- (optional) I wrote the title of the poem on the gate
The fun could begin. Both girls enjoyed playing with it. E. was chanting the rhyme. L. was taking the pumpkins off and putting them back on, plus she counted them from 1 to 5.
While L. was sitting on the potty and we were playing with the pumpkins on the gate L. was trying to say the poem with me 🙂 A few word she got right like: late, care, fun, run, lights, pumpkin
E. replaced the pumpkins with some felt bats.
There’s more fun to come with the pumpkins on the gate… I’m sure.