To be honest, I didn’t prepare any activities for our national holiday 15 March in advance. On the day I woke up with an image in my mind that I saw on Pinterest the other day. Quickly I collected what we needed to the project and when the girls finished their breakfast we could begin.
What you need:
- red, white and green crepe paper (or the colours of your national flag)
- pipe cleaners
- few bamboo skewers (“hurkapálcika”)
How to make the butterflies:
- Cut about 5-6 cm wide red, white and green crepe paper strips then cut them into 10-12 cm long shorter strips
- Place the strips (red, white and green) under one another and pinch them in the middle
- Fold the short piece pipe cleaner half and fix the crepe paper in the middle.
- Twist the pipe cleaner on the top and curl up the “antennae”
- You can finish it here or cellotape the skewers on the back.
Little L. wanted to leave the green out… but it wasn’t an option. E. could do the whole process alone. L. did the cutting mainly. she also helped with the cellotape.
After having finished with the butterflies we went out into the garden and stuck them here and there.
Short, easy-to-prepare, last-minute activity for a quiet holiday.